Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the Autonum type have limits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MandoThrasher

Programmer
Jul 12, 2002
US
Are there any issues with the Autonum type field getting too big?

I have a report that's based on a query that brings records in sorted by the Autonum field ascending. The records are coming back out of order when the report prints.

The only thing I can figure is that the table has gotten too big.

Any clue?

Reports do their own sorting. Sorting done in the query is tossed out. This means that you should base your reports on unsorted queries, because Jet does the work of sorting it in the query and then has to do it all over again in the report.

There's a sorting and grouping button in the report design screen that will let you do all your sorting. That's where it should happen.

The autonumber's fine.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Affordable Development, Professionally Done

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

cool. that clears up a lot for me. I saw those sort features in the design view but wasn't sure how to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back