Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does TapeWare really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2005
US
We always reserve the right to be wrong, but we have had nothing but problems with our TapeWare installation.

We are using an external USB tape drive (our first mistake?)... it's a Certance/Quantum CT20 (STT6201U2-SST).

All was working fine after we set it up, and started doing scheduled backups... then all of a sudden, we started being unable to see this drive in TapeWare under "Devices."

We went through a lot of this and that, then finally uninstalled and re-installed it, and our test backups worked ok. However, our scheduled backups have failed two nights in a row.... and now when I try to "Identify Media", I'm getting an error 543: Device is not yet ready. There's a tape in the drive, and we JUST prior had done a one-time test backup.

Do you think it's the USB drive, or the TapeWare? We got the USB drive since it would be easy for my client to install (I'm remote), but now I'm wondering if it was a good idea. I would be MUCH relieved if at least Veritas BackupExec would work with this drive.

Any suggestions or workarounds? I've called the TapeWare people and they tell me that their free support is only available if we used them to actually install the software the first time....

One other question: when we look in Devices, it is identified as a STT20000... is that REALLY a STT20000 masked as a Certance 6201? Is there ANY way to get BackupExec working with this USB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back