Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does symclone overwrite veritas private region ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanjivusa

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
US
Hi,
1)Host-A and Host-B is connected to DMX storage.
2)Host-A has Veritas Vol. gr. Proddg [ prod-STD,prod-BCV]
3)Host-B has Veritas Vol. gr. Testdg [test-STD, test-BCV]
4)I establish and split BCV on Host-A.
5)After split I run "symclone" command to start cloning
from prod-BCV TO test-STD with full copy option ( -copy ).
6)test-STD device will be immediately available after activation of clone pair.

Question :
a) symclone is block level copy. Will it overwrite the Veritas Private region on test-STD ? If yes, then host-A and host-B both will have proddg while copy in progress... In that case Do I need to wait for full copy to complete and then restore Veritas Private region info on HOST-B to make it original testdg ?

b) If not, then is symclone work differently as compare to BCV restore where I know private region is overwritten on target from source.

Thanks,

Hi,
I see two issues here. Cloning is a block level copy so you are right it will overwrite the veritas private region. But remember when you try to import the cloned diskgroup on the testb server it will think that it is already imported on testa. What I suggest doing is forcing the import but also giving it a temporary name when you do the import. This should resolve any issues you have.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back