Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does spare unit need license? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill211

Technical User
Jun 9, 2008
US
I would like to ask you experts about licensing for a spare/backup unit.

It's an IP500 v1

We had a problem last year, where the power supply went out of our IP500. We're a 24 hour operation, we need the phones to be always working, so my manager decided we should buy a 2nd unit, for a spare.

I had thought we would install, set up and test the 2nd unit. Mount it below our existing, working IP500, plug it in, put the config files on it, make sure it works. Then unplug it, connect all the wires back up to our existing, working IP500 and unplug the new/used one and let it sit there, until/if needed.

My question is: How would the licensing work, to do this?
Would we have to install the licenses on the new unit to test it?

Can I turn off my working unit, then turn on the 2nd one, install the licenses on the new unit, test it, then turn off the new unit and turn back on the first?
Does that work, with only one IP500 on at a time?

What's the licensing policy/procedure for a spare unit?

Thank you,
Bill

The licences are tied to the credit card thing in the back, so all you need to do is put it on the same firmware copy the config over and you're done. When crunch time comes swap the cards and credit card to the spare system and fire up and all will be good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back