Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does router effect my connection with pcanywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AyyTee1

Technical User
Dec 27, 2002
US
I have tried connecting my computer and a friends computer with pcanywhere, but it does not work. When I tried connecting both of my home computers, it worked. I am guessing that they work because its on the same network. but why won't it work with mine and my friends. Is it because of my router?

Yes it does. To enable PCAnywhere to work you need to forward ports 5631 and 5632 in your router setup. Inside the setup for the router is a section to allow you to do this - check your manual, it should tell you there. Later your friend will need to connect to your real IP address (not 192.168.*.* which is an internal LAN address assigned by your router). If you are using an IP address that changes everytime you log in then checkout the following
- it's a free service and allows you to use a name instead of a number - a small utility on your computer then keeps the correct address updated to your URL.
If you don't understand quite what I mean please let me know.

Kim Leece.

Thanx for the info. I lost my manual so I checked the online one, and it didn't say anything about forwarding ports. Can you tell me how to do that? also, I am trying tzo to keep my ip the same and so I have a domain name for it. Thanks in advance.

In order for anyone to help, you'll have to tell us what brand and mode of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back