Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does "force decompression" increase size of source directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonze

MIS
Sep 12, 2002
US
I received an E3208 error when attempting to restore files backed up from a NetWare 5.1 server to a NetWare 6 server. I found a TID that says this is due to NSS volumes not supporting compression. The fix offered is to use "force decompression" during backup.

My question is: if I do this will the files remain in a decompressed state on the source volume, or is it done totally on the fly? If all of the files on a volume are decompressed, it will most likely run out of space.

I suspect it would have to be on the fly, but I can't verify this from the manuals.

Hi,

It will only force decompression of the files you are restoring going to the destination.

I'm assuming that your asking this: If I restore a backup of NW51 files to a NW6 server will the files residing on the NW51 server also decompress? The response is then NO.

Lou

Maybe I need to clarify my question.

According to the TID I found (10055431): “The data has to be backed up in an uncompressed format before you can restore the files to an NSS volume.”

In the version of Arcserve that I’m running (9.0), I can only find “Force Decompression” as an option in Backup, not in Restore. This is the reason that I am concerned that turning it on in my nightly backup might overflow some volumes.

Thanks.

Hi Bonze,

All you have to do is set Force Decompression as needed per restore.

What's happening is you are backing up files that were already compressed by Novell.

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back