Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does nothing at all when it powers up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrenb

MIS
Jan 20, 2000
GB
When I switch my PC on nothing is displayed. <br>Power is getting to everything, the HDD's spin up, so does the CD ROM and the floppy drive light comes on as usuall. It does display anything at all on the screen. I have tried different graphics cards, monitors, data cables..blah..blah..blah! I have come to the conclusion that the motherboard has packed up. Anyone shed any light?

Have you checked your PC's power supply? try installing another one (it's quite tedious but, worth a try). If that doesn't work, than it most probably will be the motherboard or the CPU in which cases you should return the PC for warranty.

A new power supply is worth a go - i have one on order. Unfortunately, its a machine I have built myself, some time ago, so i can't return it! I am waiting for my mate to bring round another CPU, so I will keep you posted.<br><br>Thanks for replying!

Last time I had the exact same problem one of the RAM modules was not all the way in - not sure if your checklist included that under &quot;blah..blah..blah...&quot; ;-)<br><br><br>Regards!

Do you have your PC speaker hooked up?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, then a memory problem will give you error beep codes and the same with the CPU and video card.&nbsp;&nbsp;If you have your PC speaker hooked up, and you hear no error beeps then this is usually indicative of a motherboard problem, sometimes caused by incorrect supply of power buy usually caused by a dead motherboard.

I have to agree with Kerrikk. The PC speaker is an invaluable tool when it comes to this type of problem. Remove all cards and cables and see if you hear the video alert (usually four beeps). If still nothing, remove the memory. You should get long continuous beeps. If you still get nothing, and you have confirmed that the speaker works and is connected properly, then the board more than likely is dead. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I have this same problem with one of my computers that I just built.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have exchanged the case/power supply, the processor, and the motherboard.&nbsp;&nbsp;I found that my processor wasn't securely seated, and that led me to the beeps.&nbsp;&nbsp;But still no video, no signal going to the monitor at all.&nbsp;&nbsp;Could the problem be in the ram itself?<br><br>-Jeff

Hey chefjef, what beep sequence are you getting? Many memory error code beeps are a long deep continuous drone. If you get 4 quick beeps, it is the video card. These codes are pretty much standard for most mobos but there are some exceptions. Your mobo manual will be your best source. <p>Al<br><a href=mailto: atc-computing@home.com> atc-computing@home.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I recently had the same problem, I tried&nbsp;&nbsp;new video card, memory, but it was the same problem. I next got a new motherboard and was able to use my ram, video card and cpu, but i did not double check to see if everytthing was seated well. I still have the old Mother board so I will giv it one more try.

1-if the van of power supply not work ok it is power suplly.<br>2-if not check system sound to hear an error meassage <br>3-if no error meassage ok it is a mother board <br>that is all

I had the same problem on a couple of PC's at work. They were both Compaq Deskpro EP series. We sent them away to the repair centre and were told that it was the graphics chip on the motherboard that had blown.....

We had the same problem with a couple of Compaq machines that we had. It turned out that the graphics chip on the motherboard had blown....

It is all well saying that the motherboard or the memory sticks are not properly seated but we need specifics. Motherboard type, Monitor, CPU type etc. <br><br>Different systems can sometimes have diffent problems. Kerrikk is right by the use of the beep codes at POST. <br><br>Compaqs are reknown for blowing monitors and video chips. CPU's are sometimes very critical with the speeds that they are set at.<br>Dell and Gateway for RAM sticks unseating. <br><br>So as you can see it is the tip of an iceberg. It could be something simple as a unseated RAM stick or even incompatiable RAM sticks.<br><br>Best thing to do is follow the standard procedures. Listen for the beep codes and work from there.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back