Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Microsoft have Windows XP slipstream CD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirkpatrick

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
US
My old windows XP home is just that... without any SP's. Thus, it won't recognize my larger drives. Does Microsoft have an ISO with all of the SP's on them so I can install a larger HD on my system?

Grenage: is that link supposed to open a patronising Google [let me find that for you] window.
Or is Google taking over my computer?

Steve: N.M.N.F.
If something is popular, it must be wrong: Mark Twain

Ah I see (just about time to click the about button) nothing to do with Google, just patronising.

Actually I followed an online guide to do the slipstream I created the other day, and it omitted to mention the part about getting the ISO image from the original disk, so my first attempt wasn't bootable.
So not that easy.

I didn't mean to be patronising, it's just something that makes me smile.

nlite is a tool that makes the process very simple, so worth checking that one out.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

I used nlite. very simple to use....

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

I used nlite too.
Perhaps I missed something, but at the end it says 'Now burn the image', but I didnt see anything about getting the .img file.

i.e. From the Elder geek..
In order to make the new CD bootable it's necessary to add the file Microsoft Corporation.img to the folder SS-Boot we created earlier. There are a number of ways to do this but the easiest is to use ISO Buster. With the Windows XP CD in your CD drive, open ISO Buster. Click on Bootable CD in the left pane then right click Microsoft Computing.img in the right pane, finally clicking Extract Microsoft Corporation.img file.

It is possible we have used different versions; it was pretty automated when I last used nlite, so I had no problems with the resulting ISO.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Not to offend, but in nLite's Task Selection screen, you did select the last button labelled "Create a Bootable ISO"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back