Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Mercury Mail use the Windows Hosts file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derajer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2005
US
I am using Mercury as a Smart Host for another email system and sometimes that email system sends email back to itself using a fully qualified external email address (user@domain.com)which tries to send that email using the local domains public IP address. This causes a problem since the Firewall will not allow an internal IP address to connect to the public IP address (for obvious forgery reasons)

My solution to this problem would be to just use the Windows host file to force the server to send to its own local IP address instead of its public IP address, but this only seems to work part of the time.

So does Mercury Mail use the Windows Hosts file?

It's been a while, but my recollection is that Mercury just hands the dns request to Windows, so if Windows looks at your host file, it will get the address out of the hosts file. I had a brief problem where I specified DNS hosts in the configuration instead of allowing Mercury to use the 'windows defaults', but that was my own stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back