Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does HP StorageWorks MSA30 15K U320 work with Hp DL385 G1 Servers for providing iSCSI SAN storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorageVMware

Technical User
Nov 26, 2012
US
Hello,
I am very new in the world of servers. I am studying VMware vSPhere 5.1 and I brought HP DL 385 G1 Servers from ebay for my practice. Now I need to add a storage device to my infrastructure. I saw HP StorageWorks MSA30 with 14 x 73GB SCSI 15K U320 listed on ebay in very cheap price. However, I do not know whether that storage device fits to HP Proliant DL 385 G1 Servers for iSCSI SAN.
If these two units match, what other device I need to buy. Likewise, what other storage device work with HP DL 385 G1 for iSCSI SAN? Since I am a student and my motive is just to have a small lab for me to practice vmware vSphere Virtualization, I cannot spend a lot of money on a Storage device. Please suggest me those which fits my need and requirements.
For your information, I do not have any other devices besides three HP Proliant DL 385 G1 Servers right now.
Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am not an expert, just a student who is very new in this field so any advice in a simple explaination will be highly welcomed.

I don't think that the MSA30 is an iscsi server in it's own right. If you just want to try iscsi or even nfs storage with ESXi 5.1 then why not get another old machine (even a desktop would be) and run Openfiler on it. Openfiler is open source and provide a host of facilities including iscsi and nfs server support.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back