Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does GFI work with MAPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhschell

MIS
Nov 7, 2003
US
We need to add a disclaimer to our outbound email while using the outlook client. SMPT does not work since we are using a MAPI client. Does anyone know of a third party software that will work with a MAPI client?

>since we are using a MAPI

I don't understand. Exchange itself still uses SMTP.

Listen to strongm.

SMTP event sinks don't kick in when you send a mail using Outlook/MAPI.
But the event sink will kick in when the mail is sent by SMTP out of the Exchange server.

That is what I thought but was told different. I was told that it would not work since we use Outlook.

Thanks
John

In exchange, a message can exist in two formats: MAPI or MIME. SMTP is the native transfer method fo exchange 2000 and 2003. Messages originating from a client connected to the exchane server via MAPI are sent in MAPI format. If the message is destined for another user on the exchanger server, it's delivered withou content conversion. If it'destined for another smtp server, the message is converted to MIME format. Typically this happens on a border server or routing bridgehead.

The problem here is that an smtp transport event sink won't fire unless the message is in MIME format. Depending on where they are going, this can be a problem if the message originates on a MAPI client. One potential solution is to place the event sink on a border server. It'll fire if the message has been converted. This option is described in KB 273233. Another option is to force a convertion by creating a second smtp virtual server and forcing all traffic from the first through the second. Install the sink on the second.

In short, yes you can force content conversion and use an smtp event sink to add a disclaimer to all outgoing mail. A commercial product like GFI does have distinct advantages though; First and foremost is performance. VBscript is very inefficient when compared to C++ or even VB.

Yet another note: If you look at the vbs code in the microsoft articles, it's not to hard to see a few errors. The most obvious is that it doesn't modify the RTF body. There are more issues, and maybe someday S.L. will come forward and update the article. Until then, I'd go with a commercial product.

OK, in summary (and layman's terms):

If you send from Outlook directly (using a MAPI profile) you can't use the disclaimer.
If you have Outlook connecting to Exchange properly (Tools, Accounts details it as Exchange only) it will be done automatically.

If Exchange sends the email for the user, it is properly SMTP using the event sink that the disclaimer program will use alongside the SMTP connector.

Hope this clears it up...:)

We have it attached to an exchange server. It does not go out directly from outlook. So that does that mean the product from GFI will work?

John

GFI will work

Routing through a second virtual server with the sink instaaled ther wiil work

Routing through a border server with the sink installed will work

Thanks to everyone who responded to this. I will let you know if it did work.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back