Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does FTP have Auth SSL option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristo5747

Programmer
Mar 16, 2011
US

I am working with a supplier who's just tightened their security. They moved from an anonymous FTP setup to a more secure alternative. The parameters they gave me

Code:
Host: blahblah.net
Port: 4421
Path: /mailbox
User: (...)
Password: (...)
Auth SSL: yes
Passive mode: yes
Using
Code:
ftp -pn blahblah.net 4421
allows me to connect but it hangs. I need to specify the "Auth SSL" option in my command line (and script) but how do I do that?

I read the ftp man page of my host and found nothing. I looked at using sftp instead but it seems that the latter does not use passive mode.

My host info: Linux 2.6.18-128.el5 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hi

Just a one time experience with this, so I may be wrong. But give it a try :
Code:
sftp -oPort=4421 blahblah.net
( According to the man page the port can be specified as [tt]-P[/tt] 4421, but that not worked for me. )

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

sftp (SSH File Transfer Protocol) is not ftps (FTP over SSL). The FTP-client lftp can handle Auth SSL if it was compiled with that option.

if you know the path and filename that you want to retrieve, curl is a good option to script a ftps session

sample windows command

sftp test.abacd.com
ls (Get a list of the files in the current remote directory.)
get sample.txt (Copy the file sample.txt from the remote directory.)
get folder/sample.txt (Also copy the file sample.txt, which is in a subdirectory on the remote machine.)
lcd .. (Move up one level in the local directory.)
lls (Get a directory of the current local directory.)
put newsample.txt currentsample.txt (Copy the local file newsample.txt to the remote directory, but rename the copy currentsample.txt.)
quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back