Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does DNS need to be running on all domain controllers 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slyride

MIS
Feb 6, 2003
CO
Hello,
I am curious, do all the domain controllers in the domain need to be DNS servers also? Is there any pros or cons either way? We have 3 domain controllers and I was thinking that we probably only needed DNS running on 2 of the 3; they are all on the same LAN. A co-worker thinks that DNS should always run on all DCs regardless of how many or where they are.
Thanks

No, they do not all need to be DNS servers. In fact, DNS can run on separate member servers, they don't have to be DCs... AND you don't even have to use microsoft DNS servers as long at the DNS server you are using, support BIND(forget what version).

WhoKilledKenny is correct, however, if you are running Windows servers now, having DNS running on all 3 will give you a bit more stability, especially in an AD enviorment. The 3 servers will sync, and if any go down, the clients will still have a dns database to go to. I like to point clients to internal dns servers, and the internal servers to any external servers and themselves. Seems to work better. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back