Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does changing SP for a client have to force a full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NATD

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2007
AU
As some of you might have seen, I recently learned that there is no escaping the fact of needing separate tape media for every unique SP.

With that in mind, I'm contemplating removing one of my three SPs to reduce the mountain of tapes I'd need to buy and ongoing storage costs.

What I'm wondering, is whether the act of changing the SP used by a client necessates the need to get a real full from the client all over again. This would be significant for me given that 10 of my servers are at slow speed WAN sites where a real full means shipping out my USB drive to each and doing a manual seed one by one.

I'm hoping that CV will know that it has valid data stored in the original policy and let me run a new Syn-full in the new SP based on that.

Thanks ;)

Hi

When you change the SP on the client you will be given the option to either;-
Make the next backup a Full or
Do not convert to Full

Not entirely sure though how this will affect a Synth Full as this type of Full is done at the SP level...best way would be to;-
Move your SP and select 'not to convert to a full'
Manually run a Synth Full and see how much data it is going to copy and where from...once it starts and you have your info then cancel it so as not to affect your scheduled Synth Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back