Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does C++ always run in DOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

careycpp

Programmer
Jun 7, 2003
NZ
hi,
i am new to c++ and have so far made a timetable proram. But i was wondering how i could get it to run like a windows application, not in the black DOS screen? thanks if u can help me,

Carey

Obviously you have managed to create a console application - which can very good for lots and lots of purposes. It's not DOS, but a 32 bit text interface you are seeing.

If you don't know anything about windows GUI programming, you have a way to go before developing one yourself.

Find a good book about windows programming, brew some coffee (buy some extra beans ;-) ) and start reading.

Have fun !

/JOlesen

But can I make it like a windows program (not CrUsTy) using C++?

>> (not CrUsTy)
Not understood !

Yes, it is possible to give your program a graphical userinterface.
However you have to learn something about eventdriven programming, windows messaging and you have to choose a technique (MFC / WIN32API / ATL / ???) before actually (re)writing the program.
I guess MFC is the most obvious choice, but be warned : It's hard work (reading).

/JOlesen

Ok then, thanks I think that I will just stick to the plain interface, it is only my timetable.

Programming windows isn't difficult, understanding what people write about programming windows is difficult.

Don't be put off by all this elitist talk. Like someone else said get a good book on the subject.

try getting hold of Visual C++ and create a sample hello world Win32 Application, it will have all of the base code you need for creating a window.

this can be much simpler than trying to understand how the author of a book approaches the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back