Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does AVG 2011 turn off XP's firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weberm

Programmer
Dec 23, 2002
US
This might be a stupid question, but do anti-virus programs normally turn off Window's built-in firewall? I recently recovered from a brief encounter with a trojan/malware/virus and noticed that during bootup, the AVG icon in the task bar briefly has a yield sign on it and when I check the security settings, it indicates the firewall is disabled but I don't get any warning messages, so I'm a bit concerned. [ponder]

If the AV program also includes a firewall, yes, it turns off Windows firewall and Windows doesn't report it since it also sees the AV's firewall. I can't say specifically about AVG's AV product, though.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

The free version of AVG does not include a firewall, and will not disable the Windows firewall when installed.

If you have the paid version and selected the firewall component, then yes, it will disable the Windows firewall. And when you open the control center (double-click the AVG icon in system tray, for example), you will see "Firewall" listed as one of the components.

Thanks, guys! I'll have to check and see which version I got, but it keeps nagging me about to buy it before the trial period runs out so I have to assume it's not the free one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back