Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone use BEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrakis

MIS
Aug 30, 2001
US
Does anyone utilize BEC/Autosys? We have numerous problems with it to the point we are considering dropping it. Is there another viable and stable alternative for multi-threading the TP?

There is possibility to use Mincom TP scheduler (BES/BEC).

We converted from MIMS 3.013 to 4.3.1.2 and under 3.013 had very little problems with it. When we implemented BEC with 4.3.1.2 we've had nothing but problems. :-( Things like can't initiate streams after failures. We have to force start individual jobs. big :-( The GUI in Autosys is nearly useless as a result of how BEC loads the jobs into the Autosys at the commencement of batch. In short there has got to be a better way to do this in MIMS. :-( Especially in light that it worked so well in 3.013

Any soloutions or suggestions are welcome! :)

If you are using Tuxedo as your TP monitor you have no choice but to use a 3rd party scheduler to run batch.

Mincom until re4cently only supported one, CA's Autosys. Now you have a choice between 2, Autosys or Mincom Scheduler (BES).

Mincom Scheduler is a easy to use, very low maintenance and low cpu usage lite weight batch scheduler. You still require BEC to interface the MIMS system to the either 3rd job scheduler option.

Now if your problem is with un-initiated immediate batch jobs from the online then chances are Mincom has fixed the application. If your problem is within BEC, then Mincom may also have a fix handy.

Autosys requires maintenance and an experienced it person who knows the product to look after it. It is industry strength therefore as many layers to rely on which of course means it has many points of failure.

Given that you have not stipulated the exact problem, then I can't tell you where to start looking, only to give you your options.

I don't think that the developers who wrote BEC had a very good understanding of what it takes to support an application using Autosys on a day-in and day-out basis. It is slick, it is pretty, but it dosen't have much in the way of restartability or recoverability. I'd drop it and just go with th TP and the autosys layout using shell scripts that they ran at Cyprus.
Glen Colbert
gcolbert@RAG_American.com

I would dispute most of the statements made by Glen here. On a day to day basis, I'm sure that if you had Autosys operating and performing correctly and ironed out the batch failures in MIMS, then your workload would be very minimal.

Recoverability and restartability has always been available in BEC, its just no longer done from the MSO083 screen. Rather, its done from the job scheduler.

BEC evolved from the Cyprus implementation and also from the BHP Iron ore implementation. So going back to old code is not going to help your cause. Nor will you get support from Mincom if you do.

You have to adjust your ways of administering batch, I'm sure once you do and get an understanding of BEC, fault finding and recoverability becomes simple.

BEC protects the force-starting of boxes in Autosys (using Autosys global variables) because there are further dependencies down stream and Autosys will re-kick those boxes off once the current box is finished, half initiating the overnight again. Yes you have to force start individual jobs in boxes that have failed but that's resulted from the behaviour of Autosys, not the BEC adapter itself. There's a difference there and where the actual problem lies.

If you don't like the GUI in Autosys, there's always the command line that I find a lot easier to use. CA really have to do something about the GUI Java app - its woeful.

Having said all this, I would like to know if your problems are related directly to BEC or a batch failure in another part of the application. You havn't quite spelled out what the problems are.

In difference to 1cab's opinions, I've been directly responsible for supporting MIMS production systems on a 24X7 basis for over 5 years now (with Autosys and without). I still believe that BEC is inadequate to be a day-in and day-out support tool. If I had to restart a failed month end batch on your system, I would not hesitate to go back to the shell scripts.

Glen
Glen Colbert
gcolbert@RAG_American.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back