Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know what bad media means? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe123

Technical User
Aug 20, 2001
GB
We have just installed veritas backup Exec 8.5 with a DLT drive attahced to the server. When we try and test it by running a short backup it always comes back that the job is pending and that the media is "bad media" does anyone have any ideas??? I'm stuck!!!

I had a similar problem. Try: tools - options - media overwrite tab. Ensure the "Cartridge type" is correct for the dlt drive. Then you may need to manually label the tape. Hope that helps.

If you have used the tape 'media' with another backup software it can often state bad media as it does not recognise the tape header.

You need to erase the tape, go to devices, right click the tape device and click erase, quick erase, it comes up with a warning about the last known media in the device etc, ok that and erase the tape, this should help.

I had the same problem as you.... I ended up calling the manufacturer of my tape drive they had me clean the drive five times consecutively and it fixed my problem

If you are getting unrecognisable media and your Version is 8.5 rev 3571 you need to apply the media fix patch:

"Unrecognized Media" Hotfix for BENT v7.3 b.2575, v8.0 b.3316 and v8.5 b.3571 ONLY! - read instructions carefully
to extract this downloaded file MediaFix_234341 -d at the dos prompt....

or simply upgrade to ver 8.5 rev 3572 (this includes the patch)
BENT v8.5 build 3572 rc9 (Intel) (English) Serial # Req

Latest device drivers for 8.5 can be downloaded below:
Device driver release 20010615 and Autoloader release 29a for BENT v8.5

We had a similar problem, turned out to be a termination problem in the end, incorrect type fitted (passive instead of active). All media, even new came up as 'bad media'. Once the terminator was replaced, all was well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back