Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know of a Windows utility....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2007
US
....That can scan a HD whether it be on a server or workstations for file space consumption, modification and creation dates.

I had a client of mine who would have free space on his server eaten up at the rate of 400mb per day and I tracked it down to Symantec Endpoint Security and there ever growing databases and logs stemming from "liveupdate.

Well, I've jumped through many hoops to get to the bottom of that but pondered heavily if there would have been a utility to save me that time.

TIA,

Joe

From the article

"The program will inventory your network and provide information about each device on it. It goes further than Network Magic and provides a significant amount of detail about each PC and device, including free and used disk space, antivirus software being used, problems on the device (such as server connection errors), and other information, as you can see in the nearby figure. It will even provide an inventory of the software installed on each PC, in quite a bit of detail, finding not just popular applications such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Reader, but lesser-known ones such as the FileZilla FTP client."

This sounds like something that may be useful to you. Either this or atleast one of the other utilities from that article should help you out!

=)

-surgeVel

Can you recommend a good app for...?
thread779-1335382

There is a patch for Enpoint 11 from Symantec that will fix the issue of it not properly deleting old update files. I ran into the same issue recently. In less than one week I ran out of space and it was enpoint with 20 GB of data in the inetpub folder. Long and short, you have to be current on your support contract, log in and then download the patch.

If I were you, I would note the expiration date of your prodcut and consider moving to an alternate product. I prefer Trend Micro myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back