Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does anyone know how to capture From VHS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

feerme007

Vendor
May 29, 2004
US
I am trying to capture a two hour long VHS clip. It starts out what seems to be fine but as the process goes on it becomes relevent that the audio is slowly but steadly becoming out of sink with the video. I have been able to caputre fine with video of equal length with DVC's but Have this problem only with VHS. Can anyone please help me with the propor settings that I may have overlooked.

Thanks.

You need a video synchronizer between your VHS and your computer.

I think one unit is called a DAT100 or something. Its been a while since I posted about this. You may have to search through my posts about information on this. Costs about $100-$300

I was looking at a Canopus capture device for the very reason you listed here. With analog video (VHS) the sync will be a problem.

I get around this by hooking the VHS into my miniDV camera, recording to miniDV, then capture through Firewire.

calculus

instead of using another device, there is another method that you can use provided you have firewire card and video camera. you can use the video camera to capture the video from VHS to the mini tapes (in videocamera). After which digitised the video by using the firewire. The video produced/captured will be sharper.

that's provided that he has or have access to a mini-dv camera.

So if he doesn't, he'd have to spend $300 for one (at least). Where as a DAT100 (which can BE used FOR ALL video synch problems) would cost him a fraction of that.

I had the same problem, I solve it capturing severals clips instead one long, try capture clips of 4gb lengh it are about 15mins .

There is a capture setting in Premiere (at least there was in 6.5 pro) for "tighter" or "looser" settings to compensate. It really depends on if you are using a commercial grade or consumer grade deck.

I personally converted a graduation tape of roughly 2 hours length with no issues like these, but I was using an Industrial deck, and a Matrox RT.X100 for capture.

What version of premiere are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back