Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know anything about ActiveX Documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigfoot

Programmer
May 4, 1999
US
I want to build some apps for our intranet, and ActiveX Documents seem like they will do the job. I created an ActiveX Document .exe and ran it from the development environment. It worked great - it pulled up the IE browser, and ran! WOW!!
But how do you get it to work from the browser after you compile it? MS says to open the .vbd file.
I tried opening the .vbd file from IE, and it asks me what app I want to open it with--- HELP!

If anyone has done this, please write me back.

Thanks
Gary The door to life is never locked, but few have the knowledge to open it.

I to am trying to use ActiveX Documents for web content. Try using the Package & Deployment Wizard to create the package to send to your web server.

What package?
How do I begin? The door to life is never locked, but few have the knowledge to open it.

Did you get an answer to this one? I bet not. I have the same problem as do many. Just check out the Web and programmers all over have the very same problem. MS has no solution. If you learn anything please let me know!
thanks
Jim
jreed@cabq.gov

After the project and all the files have been saved
the project needs to get compiled right?

after the compilation is done
I go to the package and deployment wizard to
send it to the company's intranet
If i run it from my PC it runs great but
whenever I try to go tru IE and in the intranet
a message with open with shows up

What's up with that??????

When you are asked what program to open the .vbd with does it open correctly if you choose IE? If so, it may just be a matter of creating a file association in windows between .vbd files and Internet Explorer. Ruairi

Could your manufacturing facility benefit from real time process monitoring? Would you like your employees to be able to see up to the minute goal and actual production?
For innovative, low cost solutions check out my website.

According to a book I have, to deploy an ActiveX document to the web, you need to run the Setup Wizard with the Internet Download Setup option (this book is written for VB5, but basically the same procedure will work). It will create a CAB file and a sample HTML page that shows how to include the ActiveX document on a webpage.

-Christian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back