Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know any reason why 5.5 should not be installed on PDC? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

panini

MIS
Jun 1, 2001
GB

or is it running fine on yours?

Thanks....

Rich

Two reasons:
Security & Performance.
NT4 is not very secure at the best of times. I have not come across security issues having exchange on a BDC, but I do not have web-access or RAS enabled. You can overcome most concerns by going to sunbelt software & get a trial-ware download of a piece of software that fixes the top 1000 known volnerabilities of NT & 2000. Most of the fixes are 'Press this button to fix it'.
Performance for me has not been an issue, but the BDC I am running exchange on has 1/2Gb of RAM (v.cheap these days) 2xPentiii 866, I only have 50 users, & the only other thing this server does is a little file serving.
If you don't have many users relative to the capacity of the hardware, then security is your only concern.
However a DC also makes it harder to migrate Exchange 5.5 later to another box. I don't know how much harder it is to upgrade to 2000.

Exchange needs decent access to a DC for the user database for security reasons. Therefore putting it on a member server increases network traffic.

A PDC does logon validation and all sorts so putting a massive strain on it by giving it Exchange will slow everything down which is not what you want with an Exchange server.

Get a PDC doing its normal job and Exchange on a BDC.

I totally agree - however not all companies can afford both!

Thanks for the input guys....

Your PDC can be a little P II 400 desktop - doesn't have to be an Enterprise server.

If you really are a little company, then make sure your server runs RAID 5 disks and gets backed up properly every day. Then stick loads of RAM in it and an appropriate processor and you may be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back