Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anybody knows a free VPN Server for Windows??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sferrero

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
ES

Hello!:
I need some free software solution to make a VPN. I will only have 4 o 5 remote access users. I need also Windows clients.

Thanks in advance

Depends the Windows version??? The solution is out there. [morning]

;o)
Yes, the solution is out there...but I would like to find it!!......................... ;o)

I would like to use some VPN server software over Win2000 and also windows clients (2000 Proffesional, W98...)

Thanks! and Merry Christmas!!!!

Well, the solution is there, if the question was complete ;-)
If you already have 2000 (server), VPN is in there. From 2000 clients, the VPN client is in there. On the 2000 server, you can creat a client setup disk for 98.
Alternatively, you could opt for Terminal services? Same options for the clients. The solution is out there. [morning]

Hi Marcs41!
Thanks for your response.
How can I find a good document to configure W2000 as a VPN server?
Do you know if I can create two types of tunnel with W2000: tunnel mode and transport mode?

Thanks again. ;o)

I will find the solution

It's called Routing and Remote Access. You may need to add it under "add windows compnents" networking components in control panel, if you don't have it under your admin tools.

If it would suit your needs, setup the 2000 server with terminal services. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Hi all!:

I need the VPN to manage devices in my LAN from remote sites. W2000 Terminal services would be too slowly. I want to get a private IP address to my laptop, so that I will be able to access other devices directly from my laptop..i.e. with telnet...

I will try W2000...

Thanks,

ok, I see, well in that case, use the VPN part of 2000 server and you're set. If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Or you could use Tight VNC. It is free and very easy to setup. Go to any search engine and look for VNC and you can download it, both for the server and client computer.

Or use Terminal services. If you are going to VPN into the server, you can set TS in Admin or remote application mode. In remote application mode you will have to setup TS Licenses for the session.

He did not want or need TS beezee, read the last posts again If the solution is out there, let us know it was helpful, so others can benefit from it as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back