Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anybody know what this compiler error refers too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyjj

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
Getting a
"cat: cannot open OUT.DAT"

error

hi, johnnyjj,

personally, i've never seen this one but i'm here with my mate quietdean who operates cobol on a unix platform and apparently it means that your compiler cannot find the out.dat file. Are you trying to merge two files? He say's that this is what the message means in unix when you are doing this.
hope this helps,

jimlee Dean Owen

Can't really help from the scarce info but...

Could you be trying to open an input file that does not exist? Or could you be trying to reopen /append an output file?

Are you on a mainframe using JCL or another platform? That may help trace the problem.

You may also try to check your select - assign statement. Is it spelled correctly?

Hi John,

I'm not a PC maven but does the file have to be allocated before your pgm is run. Maybe that's it.

Jack

That is a unix error. It probably came from the shell you used to run your routine, not the routine itself. It indicated the file "OUT.DAT" doesn't exist. "cat" is a unix utility used to display (among many other things) files.

Make sure when your reading in data that you have all record data in one folder
the output data would be for example
select print-line assign to sysout
then make sure you put the name also in FD section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back