Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anybody know of a "work diary" database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remsaw

Technical User
Jul 12, 2006
US
Hello -

I have been seeking an application for a few years, have tried several commercial apps, none have done the trick for me. I have a job where my my function is fixing things, a variety of things. In addition I also prepare reports (who doesn't anymore??) including weekly and monthly status reports, order parts, general gofer work, etc.

What I would like is some sort of way to write in a diary what I do. I want it to be able to tell me the history of how many of the various "things" I have worked on, or tell me what I did for a range of dates, or tell me something about a particular "thing."

For example, were I an automobile mechanic, I would want to know what I did last two weeks, how many Volkswagens I worked on this year, what I did to Volkswagen Jetta's, Beetles, and Dodge pick up trucks, which cars I did front end alignments on, and what other sorts of things, like prepare reports on cars or reports on Volkswagen maintenance.

Outlook's calendar function comes close - but is not really very easy to sort by both date and job function, without making several entries for one day's work.

I did try a simple Access Database - it seemed like overkill to use Access for this Data - there are not that many fields or tables. Additionally, I would like a little more powerful text editor for inputing data.

I would also like the database to be searchable for a phrase or keyword.

I have been learning more about Word VBA - and wonder if that might be a direction to pursue. As I said, I have looked at some commercial applications, have not found anything that meets my needs. Most journals I have looked at are just about like Outlook's Calendar function. I did try setting up a lengthy Word Document which I either order the entries by date or function. However, then to generate trip reports, monthly reports, etc. I have to do a lot of cut and pasting. Seems very inefficient to me.

Surely somebody else out there must also have my needs - is there something available, or should I look to use Access??

Thanks a lot

Scott

I would use Access, I don't think it is overkill at all. You could build a nice form to enter your data through and it would probably be better than the commercial software you looked at. Certainly more tailored to your needs. I have built a similar system that is used by co-workers to submit job requests to our department (and for us to update information on it, etc...)

Good Luck on your project,

Alex

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

Alex is right about Access and it is easy to tailor a very powerful little system.

My main database is a support incident system for four engineers to track customer requests. Essentially I have three tables; one is for a basic overview, status level and reference number, a second is for timed phone calls and a third is for site visit reports. The last two link to the first, so one reference can be used for a mix of calls and site visits. Whenever a call or visit is completed, a log (via memo field) in the main table is time stamped. This forms a readable history of the job.

The weak spot is making it respond, because of course a database is by design a rather one way archive. But using VBA, I have over time linked Outlook in quite a bit so customers and engineers can be automatically emailed whenever a change occurs, or calendar items are added when a job is scheduled. Just recently I finally made it work both ways with the ability to create new records from emails received from customers.

I highly recommend using Access. The very basics of the system are very straightforward, while VBA allows you to do some pretty cool things. I only created it originally while my employers searched for a commercial product to do it "properly"! Over the years we haven't found a single one that wasn't expensive and over featured, yet wouldn't do basic functions that we needed. Meanwhile I've steadily added those functions so they've stopped looking. Great fun if you're so inclined!

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back