Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anybody have some experience in JFS2 snapshots???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbix

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Pls help!
I need some good info about the new feature of JFS2 (AIX 5L).
The Difference Guide redbook isn't very exhaustive ... so ... I need some help, especially in what you can really do with them.
Are they comparable to Oracle Backup OnLine, or they are only a fully consistent image of a filesystem in a specific moment (bu only in THAT moment)?

Hi,

sbix , we wre alos looking at jfs2 snapshot backup , haven't yet tried it but , snapshots the filesystem at a point in time , this is not the same as oracle warm backup becuase with oracle you have to put tablespaces in backup mode first , back them up then backup control file ,
theis is probably useful for flat file dbases or user filesystems

tnx DSAR,
I have already seen the man page you posted and it was ALMOST clear.
The problem is:
in the AIX 5L difference guide redbook they say: "snapshot continue to keep stable even if the snappedFS continue to change" ... what the heck does it mean? Is it like an Oracle snapshot which basically is a view on some tables of a remote system which COULD BE UPDATED online for each update executed on the remote system for those tables?
Is only like a photo in a specific instant fully in which each file in the filesystem is fully consistent with the others?
Furthermore ... the manual says "once a filesystem HAVING snapshots is mounted all the snapshot are started" ... what does it means? Snapshots are refreshed each time a snappedFS with living snapshots is mounted?
.... Uhm ... better to make some test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back