Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does any one setup solaris8 using LDAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eli101

IS-IT--Management
Feb 1, 2001
US
From an LDAP neby

I am trying to setup on a solaris8 machine using LDAP, the machine was till now a nis client, and I am trying to test LDAP on this machine, with using sun one directory 5.1, I installed the LDAP directory so far it sounds like its working
I am able to connect to the iPlanet Console and add users or search the directory with ldapsearch.
My main question is how I can change that the users authentication should use LDAP and not /etc /passwd, I have changed my /etc/nsswitch.conf like this
passwd: files ldap nis
but it doesn't seem to work, what else do I need to change that my telnet, ssh, etc, to use LDAP for authentication or host lookup, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciate
Thanks Eli

Hello,

With /etc/nsswitch.conf, you are telling solaris to use ldap as a naming service, but you have to configure it with the proper values (ldap server, ldap bind user, etc...) (something similar to specifying the dns servers at /etc/resolv.conf, because it's not enough modifying /etc/nsswitch.conf).

Apart of the Solaris "LDAP client" configuration, you'll have to configure the directory server the way Solaris spects to "find" the data (modify the predefined LDAP schema, create some containers like hosts, ....). Take a look at:

I followed it to configure Solaris 8 + iPlanet DS 4.1X authentication and later i found a script that automated all the process for 4.1X. I don't know where this file resides and it doesn't work for 5.X, because I tried it. I used the same info (the documentation and the script code) to understand it and finally got authentication against 5.X, but I can't remenber the whole process because it was about a year ago. It was hard for me because I didn't know about directories, but maybe if you already understand ldap....

I've heard that this configuration is easy with Solaris 9 because it comes with a configuration script.

Hope this will help you. Bye and good luck,

jmiturbe

Thank you so much for the help, but unfortunately I use ids5 (sun one iPlanet-Directory/5.1 Service Pack 2) so all the info is not for this version which works totally different, dose any one have some more info or any good docs for ids 5.1 how to set it up and how to configure the /etc/pam.conf,/etc/nsswitch.conf etc. file's I would rely appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help

I was searching a bit on google but most info is ids 4.16

i'm in the same boat as eli101... i have a solaris8 box i need to set up as an ldap server (5.1sp2) and i need to allow hp-ux and solaris 8/9 to store all their passwords on it. ie, i try to shell from boxlocal to boxserver it checks boxLDAP for my user / pass says ok and boxserver allows me to access it.
i find the lack of docs for this particular setup surprising since its all sunstuff. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back