Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does any body has experince with COMMVAULT SIMPANA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bolobaboo

MIS
Aug 4, 2008
US
We have Networker in windows cluster. Company planning to move this backup solution. Please give me as much CONS about this product as possible.

I know Simpana, at least the basics. Both tools are pretty much the same - almost the same funtionality. I like the reporting tools (logs) in Simpana much better than NW.

From my point of view, these are the major issues:
- The Simpana server must run on Windows. Unfortunatley, this does not help you.
- NW licensing is tricky but Simpana is a nightmare (unless you go for a volume license).
- Scripting and command line operation is much easier with NW. In general, Simpana is not designed to be operated from the command line. If you really must do it, the command lines are much longer and you do not want to deal with those.
- My major problem was to map NW to Simpana and understand their terminology. For somebody biased with NW for years, i did pretty hard. And i expect this to be tough for others as well.

Do not expect an easy transition phase.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back