Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Active Directory need to be installed on an Exchange 2K Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss2001

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2001
GB
Does anyone know if Active Directory should be installed on an Exchange 2K server?

We have performed a migration from Groupwise 5.5 on to a test Exchange Server (with A.D. installed) and all went fine.
But when we did the same thing on our production server (A.D. not installed) the accounts migrated ok - but we get the following error when trying to log into the account:

The name could not be matched to a name in the address book.

Any ideas folks?

Chris Vickers
moss2001@hotmail.com

My experience with Exch2k is still somewhat limited, but I am almost 100% certain that Active Directory (AD) needs to be present - if not on the Exch server itself at least present on the domain.

All accounts, security, and backend authentication in Exchange2K is now handled by the AD services, and I'm honestly surprised that it let you install without finding AD present. Chad Stiller, MCSE
Ramcom Technology
cds@ramcom.com

We have just migrated to E2k . You dont actually need to install AD on the Exchange boxes. All you have to do is install the Admin tools on the exchange boxes so that you can manage users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back