Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documents on server are read only from Windows 7 Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestPAGiz

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
US
I take care of a small church with handful of computers. They access the Windows 2003 Server just as a file server(not a server login). The computers were all Windows XP with no problem accessing and sharing documents from a shared drive on the server. Now I have started updating the computers with Windows 7 machines. Now all the documents show up a read-only, but are read-write from the XP machines. I have made sure all logins have permission to access the folders and have even elevated their access on the server. Still cannot access these documents as read-write from Windows 7. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you also upgraded your Office to 2010 or higher?
Then it's an Office issue, not Win7. :)

In the affected Office applications, click
==>File->Options->Security Center->Security Center Settings
Choose "Trusted locations" on the left pane, check the checkbox for "allow trusted locations in network", add new location, add the root folder level of your network share and check "subdirectories of this location are also trusted".

I have translated these item names on the fly, so it might be slightly different in an actual Office. Still you should bne able to find the entries.

Good luck!

MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Any news on this?

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

Thanks for the tip. That didn't help, but I did find a permission setting on the server root folder that did fix the issue. Appreciate you getting back to me and the follow-up. Have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back