Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documenting Server Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwesol

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2000
US

My boss wants to have more structural and procedural changes in the network. Now he wants me to document anytime I make a change to a server be it a DNS change to clicking a check box on a windows 2000 server setting. Does anyone have any worksheet or database they use to keep track of server changes? Are any Network Admins doing things like this now? I built this network from the ground up and they did an IT audit on us and found we were lacking documentation. Yes I tend to keep most of the stuff in my head. I grew up with the command line era and learn by doing. Now I find it hard to document everytime I add an IP or change a bat file. Anybody going through anything simular or have a good way to document server changes? Anything you can share with me would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Network Admin

I keep a similar log for all our servers. Any time I stop or start a service, edit a regkey, install anything, etc, I write it down in the appropriate log for that server. I also run periodic IP scans for the different subnets for IP's, MACs, hostnames, etc and keep those in a binder. I don't think you can ever have enough documentation, and it is crazy to try and keep everything in your head. You're still human and may forget a change or something that would help you to figure out what is happening...
My Two Cents...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Hey Matt

Do you have any samples or forms you could send me? I would like to see exactly how to list it out.

Thanks
Mike

Sorry, but I don't have any forms that I use. The logs are just notepads that I write the Date, Time and the change made in. I used Visio for a diagram of the overall network. I also keep the router configs all printed in a binder. The IP scanner I use is Languard. All the procedures I follow, I just wrote up in Word and posted them to our Intranet. If you do a Google search for Network Documentation, there are lots of links to try and get started on yours....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back