Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Documentation in Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

SheepDog

Programmer
Feb 4, 2003
US
Is there a way to document in access? I know you can do this in the vba code but wanted to know if there was something on the toolbar on the left in a Access DB that you could select like a "Word Document" that you could document on?

What do you want to do? The single quote character sets of a line as a comment, and it's not processed. Are you looking to include pages of comments? That's probably best done in a Word document. You _can_ do something like that in code, with a crude workaround, though I recommend against it.

To do it, though, just use a conditional if/then, by putting # at the start of the if/then and the end if statements, like this:
Sub sdf()
#If 1 = 2 Then
asdfasd asdfsad
sdf

#End If
End Sub

None of what's in that structure will be evaluated at all. Just make sure the thing you test for won't ever be true.

But I'd still recommend that extended documentation happen in a Word file. You'll be pretty bummed if you database gets corrupted and you want to reconstruct it based on the documentation.

Jeremy

==
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks
Access Databases for Non-Profit Organizations

Please post in the appropriate forum with a descriptive subject; code and SQL, if referenced; and expected results. See thread181-473997 for more pointers.

I have created a report with a word document inserted in it.
This is what i have found so far with experimenting.

All I want to do is have sort of documentation within the db in a word document. I sort of have this fixed by creating a report with a word doc inserted into it where I can create the documentation.

If you've got it in a Word doc, by definition it's not in the db--you've got an embedded ActiveX object that is linked within an Access report. But hey if it works...

Jeffrey R. Roberts
Insight Data Consulting
Access, SQL Server, & Oracle Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back