Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document Merge Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
Office 2013 Pro with Access/Word/Excel/Outlook

Built a Web Form which exports form data as an XML file ... this file is sent via email as an attachment ... Access imports these files directly from Outlook

The challenge is getting one of the XML fields which is a dynamic multi-line text field containing a list of names in the form: Last Name, First Name to provide a signing line on a Merged Document ... currently in Word, I have a reference <<names>> which outputs this field in the form

Last1, First1

Last2, First2

LastN, FirstN

The Word Mail Merge Wizard quickly allows me to link directly to the table containing the XML data ... once linked it was simple to create a template that positions the data with the intent that it be printed out for signatures ... unfortunately the list of names, being dynamic, creates a challenge as there doesn't appear to be any additional format options for the field reference <<names>> ... ultimately trying to add a dynamic signing line either in front of or behind the Name on each line.

Last1, First1 __________________________________________

Last2, First2 __________________________________________

Last3, First3 __________________________________________

As a real kludge I could add "_______________________" as text to the Field data on the Web site but would rather have a local Template solution.

Just wondering if there is possibly another way (simpler) to go about this ... with Office 2003 I used to use Excel and VBA routines to do merging but was hoping that there would be an easier way with newer versions of office.

What you're asking for is not possible with a mailmerge.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back