Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document merge or compare with ColdFusion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiesfb

Programmer
Apr 27, 2001
US

Has anyone built a tool to do this? Cannot find one out there..

What's the source document type? Will <cffile> and or <cfdirectory> do what you need?

You need to give more detail on your problem...

Lyndon

---People Remember about 10% of what you say ---They never forget how you made them feel. Covey

I need a tool that allows you to compare two Word documents to illustrate the differences between the two..

BTW: As the task itself really has nothing to do with CF, you might have better luck looking for a java library or .exe you could call from within ColdFusion. Also, I suspect there will be more support for the newer format .docx, than the old binary one.

Good Luck!

----------------------------------

It all depends what you are trying to do. There are already applications like Beyond Compare 2 which will compare two files (*.html;*.htm;*.xml;*.php;*.asp;*.cfc;*.cfm;*.java etc etc)

Or, you can implement yours by reading two files, creating an array of each line for each file and comparing each line to another.

I have never heard of that program. Does it actually understand MS Word files, or is it just your basic line by line text comparison program that compares the low level xml of the newer files?

----------------------------------

This is from their help:

The built-in File Viewer is designed to handle text files only. It cannot directly compare formatted documents such as MS Word, Excel or PDF files. These have complex, proprietary formats that the program doesn't understand. However, you can configure the File Comparison Rules to call an external conversion tool to extract plain text from documents before comparison. See our website for add-on rules that you can download:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back