Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document does not exist in any of the folders. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrismenzies

Technical User
Oct 2, 2003
GB
Help.

A colleague has 'lost' 2 folders in LN7, but she has not deleted them. I can view the emails that should be in these folders in View All Documents, but when I right click and Folders/Discover Folders I am told that.....

IBM Lotus NOtes
Document does not exist in any of the fodlers.

How can an email exist but not be in the Inbox, Sent, Drafts, or Trash?

Help. I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to retrieve the folders.

A folder is an 'optional' storage; A view is 'selectable' through a formula / select statement, a folder is not. A document don't have to be in a folder to exist, but a document is normally represented in one or many views (Except profile docs).

To 'restore' a folder is not easy if it's not 'restorable'(for reference/content only)' from a fresh backup.
We see it time and time again, drag'n'drop is a 'killer' function, also since there is so time consuming to try to restore it. So as a consequence we're LOGGING all drag'n'drop and 'folder move' to keep track of what's going on in certain mailboxes. Made wonders when the users became aware that we actually 'saw' what was done, and it could not be blamed as a 'system' fault anymore :) Logs are nice...

Brgds,

TrooDOS

Thanks for the reply Troodos.

However, this does not explain why folders are going missing, but the emails are still in View All Documents. What is causing the folders to disappear? And, how can I restore them?

I know that I could simply re-create the folder and then drop the emails to the new folder, but this does not explain why the folders are going missing.

You can create and delete folders without any consequences for the documents. When you remove a folder, the docs still in the db.

Personally I've learned not to 'trust' the statement of not being deleted by user. In can be an accident, yes, but there is no other GOOD explanation why this happens. If it continues, make a log in the db, and then there will be clarity for this once and for all.
Make the log in the 'database script', and then see the outcome...

Another tool is also available, NotesPeek, which can 'see' the stubs of deleted elements (until compacted with size reduction that is). NotesPeek has (and I still think it is) been a free download.

Brgds,

TrooDOS

Hi
I am a Notes (6.5.4) user.

This has happened to me - firstly when I was migrated from notes 5.x to 6.5.4, and lots of folders vanished, and more recently when I have tried to rebuild the missing ones and I get various new things happening to the folders each time I log on to Notes (like ghost folders, reincarnated ones, and vanishing ones).

Today for example, it looks like my folders have been regressed to an earlier copy (I lost some new folders, and regained at least one I had deleted).
I may start adding dates to their names to track the changes!

Re-populating rebuilt folders from the all files folder is not much fun - any tips?

Dan

I would suggest you ask your admin to run a fixup on your mail file. The upgrade was probably badly done, and your mailfile was somewhat corrupted as a result - thus the ghost folders.
This situation is not acceptable, and the admin should take the necessary steps to clean your file and make it reliable again.

Pascal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back