Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

document database

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetDummy

Programmer
Sep 18, 2006
MY
I am looking into setting a PDF document database for my company, which are mostly of engineering drawings, for use on the intranet. The criteria is that a user can browse through the listing of drawings and then click on the drawing part number or name to pull up the drawings automatically.

I also need to set it up so that the engineers can automatically add the documents to the database and have the document goes into a certain folder and then be listed in the directory. Can anyone tell me how I can best accomplish this? Is this a suitable application for SQL Server? I am fairly new at databases but have taken a class in Admin. SQL Server. Any helps is appreciated. TIA.

I'm not sure (?) but this could be a right way:

you should save all documents in the same directory/map

1. opening a selected item:

use a combobox (?) or a listbox (?) with two columns declared but display only the file names.
when clicking on a name out of the list, use the Shell (?) command to the corresponding document in the second column

2. saving a new document:
let the user declare a name for the new document (enter it in a input box or a message box)
check name validation and check if this name does exist already in the list
if not, copy the document (FileCopy (?)) to the map
update all list controls

good luck
Vincent
acady@yucom.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back