Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Document Caching!? pls Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernini

Programmer
Oct 26, 2004
MT
Hi all

I would like to ask two things, if you don;t mind...

1. The intranet i'm writing for the company i work for stores lots of documents (mainly word, pdf and excel files), and i store them all in one folder on the server! I need a way to load the document in an iframe without using the direct link (ie. since the link would be stored and anyone wiht brains can find it! Is there a way i can hide or something!!?! any ideaz!!! ?

2. Once a document is opened it is cached and on the same reasoning as 1. it can be opened from the temp folders! How can not allow caching of docs?!

Thanks beforehand for any help!
B

1. Using server-side technology, you can easily hide the true location of any file... but you've not said if you have any server-side scripting available to you (ASP, PHP, JSP, etc).

2. If you're on an intranet, you could disable caching on all browsers within the company... although this would seriously reduce their performance, I'm guessing.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]

Have you ever right-clicked on an iframe and picked the option "Properties"? It will show the source if the iframe.

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Bernini: BillyRay & Tracy are dead on. ServerSide Technology is the way to go for this issue. I'd stay away from IFrames, but you could use traditional frames and dynamically link the source for the frame so viewing the source code would not reveal the location of the document. Are you using MS IIS? if so ASP is an easy way to go. I'd try the ASP forum on this site, its very friendly if you are. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back