Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOCTYPE definition causes "page failures" in Netscape and Pheonix

Status
Not open for further replies.

JProg

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
JP
Hi All,

I have developed some javascripts which position page elements on screen based on available screen area. Although the code works well I am forced to exclude the DOCTYPE definition on pages that use it.

This exclusion is necessary because Netscape Navigator 7 and Pheonix render page elements undesirably (in the wrong position and on top of oneanother) when the DOCTYPE is included.

The DOCTYPE did not cause any problems for IE.

Has anybody else discovered any problems with running certain javascripts whilst a DOCTYPE is present?

If so could you please enlighten me as to a way around this dilema that I am facing?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

Davo

If you post your code, enlightenment may come quicker and easier.

Dan

The answers you get are only as good as the information you give!

I just ran into this same problem with IE yesterday. What I've found, with IE at least, is some properties are assigned to different objects depending on what schema you are using. Maybe NS is the same way.

For example, using the "loose.dtd" schema, the value for document.body.scrollTop in IE now resides at document.documentElement.scrollTop.

Without more information I can't tell exactly what problem you're having, but I did find a script here that helped me out by getting more accurate coordinates. Maybe it'll help you.

Adam

recursion (n.) See recursion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back