Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DOCSIS/Linux Incompatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpiderElls82

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2004
US
Greetings.
I'm having problem getting one of my laptops connected. I'm relatively new to linux (Red Hat 8.0). The machine is an older pentium 2 with 128 mb of ram. I have an Arris Touchstone cable modem.
When I look at the hardware browser, it shows that the OS can see the modem connected through the USB (no ethernet ports on this computer), however, It does not seem to be allowing access. The hardware explorer shows the device as:
ARRIS RNDIS ADAPTER
I have turned my firewall off and check, recheck the connections. I can find no software or hardware sitations where something would be blocking it. The only thing I can think of is a incompatibility with linux. But if linux allows for USB ports, and this cable modem is USB ready...should I be able to find some way to by-pass? Get back to me with any questions and hopefully a solution.

Thanks,
Ben

Linux modem capatibility is spotty at best. I've been using Linux for years and it is a real weak spot. The fact that Linux has queried the device for its information and received the response has little to do with its ability to load the proper kernel module to communicate with the device. Especially using such an old version of Linux (RH 8.0 was end of lifed a long time ago).

Are you running a 2.6 kernel or is it still a 2.4 kernel (uname -a)?

Is there a reason that you are using the USB port of your cable modem rather than the Ethernet port? Or are you just trying to configure the cable modem?

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back