Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doc management / collaboration software - what do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbechard

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2007
CA
Hi all,
I've recently joined a new company, and though they have OK project management practices, they could benefit from some further evolution (part of why I was hired). As I'm reviewing and updating their PMM, we're stuck on the issue of project document management, version control, dissemination, etc.

Here’s the scenario:

We’re creating a collection of PM templates (scope, risk, schedules, quality, etc) that the PMs will use on the projects. Not all docs will be used on every project, based on complexity.

Requirements:
Need a tool that allows the PMs to store/upload/copy their completed docs to a common location accessible by all project team members. Version control is important, and some docs evolve over the life of the project. Other docs will have multiple independent copies (ie. Weekly status or meeting minutes). Some docs need review and approval by key stakeholders and managers – integrated timestamped checkbox to indicate approval would be ideal. PM and Management can view document listing to see what docs are complete, missing or approved.

I’m reading into MS SharePoint and/or MS Groove to see if that’s a fit. Another PM has suggested that we move our templates into a Wiki format. Past companies I’ve worked for have used just a network folder structure, and others a home-grown tool…

What tools would you recommend for the above?

Thanks,
Peter

Hey,

We use Sharepoint in our team, and it works just fine. The eternal question is not "what's the best tool", but "what do I want the tool to do and which tool is closest to my needs".

As every tool, it needs to be developped and to be finetuned. After that, everybody needs to addapt the same approach.

Next to that, the eternal question in Project Management needs to be adressed "what's the budget and what can I get for it". Not just the server and software, but also development and research needs to be included.

So, in the end, the best tool is the one that fits your budget and that can(or can be be altered to)answer your needs.

------------------------------------------
A genius walks in silence,
Bet you didn't hear me comming...

Just try Rational ClearCase.

Can be used for all kinds of config.

Marc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back