Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you use or know LTSP (linux terminal server project)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinnt

MIS
Feb 11, 2002
US
Hi,

I have recently decided to replace our current 40+ user network with LTSP. We are using Citrix, Exchange, and Winnt 4.0 TSE. However, it order to accomplish this, I need to find a thin client that I can make boot to the LTSP, otherwise we are stuck in M$ land. Most of our existing thin clients are old WYSE WinTerms that I hope to replace with a new product line. I have been looking at Neoware's ( ) Capio 508, but have been unable to get it to go. My question is this:

Are any of you currently in an organization that is utilizing LTSP? If so, what are you using for thin clients? How are you accomplishing your setup? If not, Do you have any idea how I can accomplish this goal of having a true thin client boot to a LTSP server?

Using PCs that boot to the floppy is not an option. We must purchase the true diskless (yet still have the option to add drives at will) thin client hardware. I have already checked but I need more options. Preferably a brand name unit... Thanks in advance.

Here are a few crucial links to answer your questions.

Look for the link titled "Terminal Hardware Guide With prices".

The site will have all the information you wil need.

K12 Linux is basically Redhat 9 with LTSP setup integrated into the distribution for simple setup and has been used many places with great results.

Hope this helps.

We use a Celeron 1.3gHz on an AOpen MX36LE mother board in an atx case. The only issue is that it uses PXE boot. The way to circumvent this is to go to and create a boot image for the built-in nic. The image will kick up etherboot to alleviate the pxe problem. Tftp, ltsp, and dhcp rpms/src can all be downloaded to fit your distro and kernel. The readme in the ltsp directory has lots of good info on the ltsp configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back