Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you know RosettaNet?? (From Japan) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

akirin

MIS
Dec 9, 2002
JP
Hello everyone!!

I'm working as a System Engineer in Japan.

I have been in charge of development and operation of RosettaNet systems for 2 years.

Do you know RosettaNet?
RosettaNet is one of new XML B2B standards.
(
In 2001-2002 RosettaNet has grown up especially in Asia, So I want to know the spread of RosettaNet in other country.

Does your company have a plan to migrate from legacy edi(i.e. EDIFACT, ANSI X12 and CII, which is japanese standard) to RosettaNet ?? I've heard that this migration will be proceeded little by little in U.S. in 2003.

Thank you,
Akirin [bigears]

Akirin,

I am a Sterling Consultant have done few installations and mapping in RosettaNet. Market here is very diverse and due to that the growth is a bit slow. Sterling is a partner (Solution Provider) with RosettaNet. If you any questions, you can forward them to me.

Hello 4GENTRAN,

Thank you for your reply.
Sterling commerce is very famous in Japan as the vendor which developed Gentran. I think Gentran is the best translator of ANSI X12 and Edifact.

I want to know which is more popular in US, using ASP service or constructing private server. In Japan, Some big buyer companies construct their private server. On the other hand, lots of suppliers companies use ASP service. The major reason of using ASP is that the cost of private server is too high. Generally speaking, one of advantages of RosettaNet over the legacy edi should be the low cost. But I think the cost of private server is still high at present.

Thank you,
Akirin

Hi Akirin,
In the US it is more common for companies to use their own server. There are many software vendors who offer translation packages and many of them can run on fairly inexpensive Servers. In the US you can get up an running with Rosettanet for less then $50,000. And once you do that it is really software licenses expenses from year to year. If you want to have a more extensive Hub and spoke set up with vendors or within your own company, this might cost more, but it is still quite reasonable, and, I believe more cost effective in the long run. With ASPs you may run into problems with "real time" responses with quoting, and if you have Customers that change their ERP software and then want to change their PIPs you will have to pay the ASP again for these changes.

Hi pryorla,

Thank you for your response. Your advice helps me a lot and I'm so glad to know the information of the US.

I'm very interested in the prospects of RosettaNet business now. In Japan, Sony started trading with RosettaNet in 2002. As other big companies that implement RosettaNet, I can list following -Intel, Cisco, Nokia, Micron, Samsung, Motolora, Fujitsu, NEC, NTT and so on-

What do you think about the prospects of this business from the US??
From now on in the US,
do you think that the migration from ANSI X12 to rosettanet proceeds??
And,
which implementation is more expensive, X12 or RosettaNet in US now??

To construct the real time SCM system, I believe RosettaNet is the only standard all over the world. So RosettaNet is spreading constantly to connect to foreign companies in Japan. But when connecting to domestic companies, even now most of Japanese companies are using EIAJ, which is EDI standard in Japan.

Thanks,
Akirin

Hi Akrin,

I have read your thread with interest. I have been working in the EDI field in Europe for the past 6 years with different multinationals (Sterling Commerce among others) and so far I have not come across many companies that do or want do RosettaNet or any other XML standard. One heard quite a lot about it about 2 years ago but not so much anymore nowadays. It seems that a lot of people tend to stick to legacy EDI. In the US there seems to be the same trend. See the article from Internetweek of which I've pasted the URL below.

The article is quite informative and tries to predict which way things will go for electronic exhanges in the future. I am wondering if this is true. To me it seems like the author is right regarding EDIINT and AS2 instead of XML. Perhaps some of the US based people who are a member of this discussion group can confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back