Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you do B2B, exchange data, use a standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainbiker

Programmer
Aug 21, 2002
GB
Okay gang, I am interested in hearing inputs from those of you that work for companies that use a standardized DTD/schema across your different divisions or companies.

In short, I work for a company with lots of divisions spread all across the world. We have come up with a standardized schema as well as a data element description (DED). Additionally, we meet every few months to discuss mods to our standard.

I am from the camp that believe that the schema and DED should not be ambiguous. I think that if I go to division A, division B ... and division Z, and I look at element XYZ--then all divisions should use that element in the exact same way to facilitate easier data exchange.

However, while this maybe true in 50-80% of our elements/attributes, the remainder are used differently from division to division. I believe it is a waste and defeats our purpose to have to translate data between all the division, when we all are suppose to be playing to the same standard.

I realize our standard is in its infancy, and these ambiguities may lessen in time. However, I'd be interested in your lessons learned, experiences, etc. to achieve quicker success.

We use XML to transfer data to/from our customers, and we've found that if our documentation has any ambiguity in it, they're certain to pick the meaning that we didn't intend.

I would work hard to make your schemas as specific as possible, but don't get carried away with XML includes, etc. One industry association I deal with has done this, resulting in an XML schema that is impossible to print, even on multiple ANSI-E sized (863mm x 1117mm) piece of paper. I gave up trying to print it after 6 pages and only 40% of the way through it all.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back