Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do wireless chips just give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I have a 7 year old Philips laptop which has been working fine using wireless until recently. The connection speeds are varying between 18 and 54 and it doesn't always connect to the internet. Other laptops on wireless connections don't seem to have a problem: only this one.

Initially, I thought it might be a problem with the router so I cleared out all the addresses on the router (that was painful).

It reconnected OK at 54 and then after about 3 minutes dropped to 24 and then to 18. Normally, at this point, most machines will say that they have a bad connection but it is saying it has an excellent connection. I'm just wondering whether the chips have seen better times.

If it has, then I have a few PCMCIA cards that I could use in its place. The alternative is that maybe something got corrupted and the machine needs redoing. A bit more painful but not too difficult. I don't know how to check for this.

I take it that this 7 year old laptop has a seperate wifi connection, otherwise it was one the very, very 1st laptops to support the standard (802.11g was not ratified until mid 2003).
If so card and model would help.
If internal or external, are there newer drivers for it?

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

It is internal - no newer drivers found so far.

It is a Philips Freevent X61, which is actually a Twinhead (Taiwanese make). It doesn't even appear on the Philips site. Got it at that time because it was the only one that would fit comfortably between my tummy and the steering wheel while watching #2 son play rugby.

I'll try a PCMCIA card.

Well, the PCMCIA card works so I'll leave that until it breaks. Problem is that they tend to tick out and get caught in the arms of chairs and they break eventually. The other problem tends to be putting them in laptop bags without removing the card first. Got reports of a few broken cards from the in-laws from doing just that.

The wireless card is typically an addon device and looks similar to a stick of EDO Ram.
It has a slot that it fits in to and the terminals often become tarnished over time.
My suggestion is to remove the card and use a soft pencil rubber to brighten the brass contacts.
refit and try.
cured my wife's Acer which had a similar fault to yours (slow and random connection..dropping connection)

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

If you want a long-term fix, and your card is internal, make sure of the connection type, and search eBay for a replacement.

If you want a cheap easy fix for short-term that you could use later on other equipment, look for a decent wireless-n USB adapter. There are some pretty cheap options there:

I just looked for Wireless N adapters:

This one is REALLY short, and should be pretty decent, as Trendnet seems to put out some decent network equipment (not the best, but decent, from reviews I've read):

You'd have a hard time bumping and/or bending that one. I've been down the road of PCMCIA and USB wireless adapters before. Internal is definitely the BEST option, but these super tiny micro adapters seem like a nice option.. kind of like some of the newer USB-Bluetooth adapters for some keyboards and mice.

Don't forget the antenna.

It could be that you have a bad/broke/shorted/frayed antenna connection or wire.

My experience has been that when a wireless chip gives up the ghost, it does just that. However, since many times the antennas are in the lid, the opening/closing of the lid over the years stresses and breaks the wires going through the hinge.

Just a thought.

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back