Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

do we want our kids doing this stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jad

Programmer
Apr 7, 1999
GB
My son is going to be 2 in a fortnight.
Lately i've found myself wondering whether when he's 15 and comes in saying 'I want to be a programmer!' i would be happy or sad.
We all want the best for our children and i'm wondering, although this is the field i'm good at, and the field i feel naturally comfortable with, do i feel it is the right thing/best thing for him in the future ...

I currently don't own a PC at home, and i'm not necessarily Techy-friendly at home at all (we bought a video player last year, and that is about as high tech we get), but should i buy one and let him use it now so that he gets ahead with computers early, earlier than me for instance, or should i hold it off and give him the chance to pick a career/hobby/ability not linked to computers.

hmm ... any thoughts?

If you want to give him all options. Get a computer and have him play educational games (noting the age). I have used a computer since I was 4 (now 22) and I am a programmer. My dad kept upgrading for me becuase I loved to be on the computer so much. Mike Wills
IBM iSeries (AS/400) Programmer
[pc2]

I think the thing to consider about letting kids play with computers or possibly going into this field is that if they dont know about them by the 1st grade they will be behind. My daughter who is in the first grade uses a computer at school everyday. So i think any child should at least be able to have some knowledge about it, just so they arent left behind.
As far as her going into this field, I dont see any reason why she shouldnt, I am a Unix admin and have a good job and like the people i work with. I would want her to have a good job and be able to make a good living when she is older, But i belive if you dont like your job or people you work with change it..

Having a child use a computer has nothing to do with them turning into a programmer. I have three, they all use computers for homework and games but none of them is even remotely interested in developing software or even web pages for that matter.

-pete

computers are used in nearly all aspects of business these days. plus, most schools use them extensively as well. i think the plusses of having one at home out-weigh the minusses, regardless of whether they become a programmer or not.

To each their own,

Some folks are very satisfied with working a line and going home to their family every night. Some love driving a truck for a week on end and going home every couple of weeks.

I am not money motivated, so this field fits my groove - the challenge.

At first skydiving was a challenge too - well still is for that matter, but an expensive one - with this I can pick up a couple books, dive on in and fill my need to be challenged in no time at all.

To each their own.

And to think I *knew* Culinary Arts was for me coming out of high school.

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

-Adm. James Farragut

Stuart

Not being a parent and being a bit young to have enough true experience I would probably say give your child all the options. Like said above the PC is a wonderfull thing although knowing how to use one doesnt mean you have to use it all the time.

By the time you son is in a position to be a programmer the industry will no doubt be a lot different than it is today. Or at least I hope it will. I've been a programmer for about 13 years and have had my fair share of tough times.

I think the main problem with being a programmer is the nature of programming. I spent the whole of yesterday keeping our system afloat because changes had gone into production without being tested (not by me I hasten to add). After the stuff I went through yesterday I would not recommend this as a job to anyone if I had been asked yesterday.

Having said that when we originaly rolled out our integration app, it was the "bees knees" so to speak our users were absolutely delighted. And we got a great feeling of satisfacion from that.

I think as with any profession there are good points and bad points. And in the future programming will probably be a lot different than it is today.

Maybe you're worrying over nothing - I'm the only computer programmer in my family (including cousins, etc). Chances are he may well become a surgeon or and architect or something like that...

As a parent, I can offer the following insights. I believe that a parent's job is to prepare their children for their adjult life. I want my children to do that which makes them happy. My children's lives belong to them, not to me. It is not our role, nor should it be, to decide what we think is the best career option for them. Its up to them to decide what they want to do with their life. My job is to properly prepare them so that they can make intelligent choices.

So I would say get the computer. Expose your children to what that career offers. But tell the whole story. Every career path as variances in entry points and ceilings. Each has pros and cons. There is the career of a Computer Programmer, and also the career as a Software Engineer. Different entry requirements, and different long-term ceilings. Both careers are extremely dynamic (depending on where and how the technology develops) and none of has a crystal ball to know if and/or what the career opportunities will be at the time your child is ready to start making decisions.

Another point that I would like to make, again as a parent, but not career related. As your child is growing up, he/she will have friends who have computer, and use those computer for work and play, so your child will be exposed to them. By not getting a computer, you may be placing your child at a competitive disadvantage with respect to school work. You may also be setting up a situation where every child in the neighborbood has one, except yours. Please do not interpret that to mean that you as a parent should "keep up with the Jones" -- I DO NOT feel that way. But I also understand that it may also be wrong to put your child at a disadvantage. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

In todays world, computer skills are almost a must. I'd have a computer for the kid the minute they show the least bit of interest in technology. Help the kid learn to type and run the computer (educational games are a great way to get started). Having the computer won't automatically turn the kid into a programmer or geek. It's their interest that will do that to them. If the kid has the geek gene, any you seperate them from the technology, they will loose a chance to start learning the skills that they will eventually base their life on anyway. They'll start to pick it up at school just the same. If they are completely uninterested, having the computer or not, they will still not care about programming, or other forms of tech culture, but they'll have the access to the machine so they can develope the skills that are needed in this new era.

I didn't have access to a computer until I was in high school, and by then I had lost valuable time that I could have spent learning useful skills instead of watching TV all the time. If I had learned the basic computer skills back in elementary school, or before that, I would have started studying hardware, software, web design, programming, networking, etc a lot sooner, and had an extra bonus.

If you give the kid a computer, 10 or 20 years from now, they'll either thank you, or not say anything. If you don't give them the access to a computer, they'll blame you forever. Most people, even if they don't care about how a computer works, or how to control it, they'll benifit from having a bit of experiance running one, and learning how to type. my father refueses to use a computer, even though it could save him hours of time spent looking through pages of reports, books full of cattle registrations, etc. The main reason he still uses paper for everything is that he can only type with one finger, slowly. I've been trying time and time again to get him to use the machines I have around home, but he refuses. He likes email, but only when someone else types it out for him. I'm sure if I didn't have a computer when I was younger, I wouldn't have learned to type, and would probably either be a LOT slower, or not be in the field that I really enjoy.

Just to add some personal experience...
I am the oldest of 5, my father didn't bring home a computer until I was 10. No hard drive, etc. I was interested so he started teaching me logo and pascal. Now The next youngest person in my family is the older sister, 3 years younger than myself, so 3 years more experience with the computer. She is a bartender and part-time line-layer and getting married to an IT guy, but little to no interest in actually developing her own applications. According to my math that means she was 7 when we got the first computer.
Next youngest is 3 more years younger, he loves computers but will never be a programmer. Which makes him 4 when we got the first computer.
Next youngest, 1 more year down, she has her own computer and she calls me when it breaks. If we were limited to typewriters she would be just as happy except that she would have to store her music on cd or tape, do her own spell checking, etc. 3 when we got the first computer.
The next youngest (6 more years) is in his early teens. He grew up with at least one computer in the house his entire life, he loves gaming on the computer, nintendo, etc. He was put on the computer very early with learning games, etc. He is training to be a rabbi. At least two computers in the household when he was born, if not more.

So the end result? The child that had the least computer time during his childhood is the programmer while everyone else uses them at an above average level, but have very little interest in developing on them.

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
For my next trick I will pull a hat out of a rabbit (if you think thats bad you should see how the pigeon feels...) :p

looks to me like this discussion is only headed one way ... :)

btw. i was always going to get one ... just thought it'd make an interesting topic :)

Buy it but don't force them to use it. They will find their own way. My 10-year daughter use it for making birthday cards. My 6-year son hardly looks at it. My 4-year daughter loves it, we play doom and jack-jazz rabbit. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Dear yad, dear friends !
May be you’ll laugh at me (that i speak with you, young people). And i don’t know if you understand me , because of my ‘poor’ English.
I live in Poland. Our economic situation is different that in USA. And my remarks may be strange for you.
I have two daughters. Older (27) is programmer. She studied IT and she works 5 years. Second daughter (25) studied higher math and in he work use IT tools. By the way: my husband is an engineer of building.
We bought computer when my daughters are 18 and 16. But they sometimes went to my office and they ‘worked’ on PC and big computers.
Computer at home is a big thing, but i think, that you are must buy other toys too. And you must spent much time with your son. I suggest you write him books (for children) with colour pictures. I don’t know about american books for children, but may you remember about your children reading. And allow him to draw (buy crayons and big piece of paper), sometimes on the walls ???
Happy Birthday to your son !! and greetings for your wife and you !
Kind regards from Warsaw !!!!!
Monika (monikai@yahoo.com)

I definately agree, don't over do it with the technology, I think half the problem kids (I'm not much older) have these days is that to much TV, video games, etc have turned their mind to mush, I am very thankful that my family got the computer years before the TV so that I actually will choose to sit in front of the computer programming (or go outside,etc) over watching the newest TV show. My girlfriend doesn't understand why I will sit in front of the computer 16 hours in a day but can't stand to sit in front of the TV for more than two.
Whereas my youngest brother grew up with Nintendo, to much TV, etc and you have to bribe him to go outside and play.

-Tarwn --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
This space has nothing in it, it's all ni your imagination

Am I getting too old? I am almost 26 . I have been in the repair end for few years , I want out bad. The money is crap(pardon the language). I was thinking of going to take a programing class @ the local University. I am not totally sure if I am into it or not. How can I find out? Also are there stilla lot of jobs out there , is the money ok???
Please tell me any thoughts you might have.
Thanks
whiterabbit4@shaw.ca

I am also in a country where having a computer at home is luxury, imagine 2 computers. Years ago I used them mainly for work and programming, still do this but now it is 70% playing games together with the kids. Technology is not everything, monikai I agree a 100% with you. My eldest daughter I can surprise with a book, Every week I have to fix my boys bike and our favorite games are just plain monopoly and playing cards. You will be surprised how fast they grow up, and later regret that you didn't use the time to play or go camping. Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

We all used to play outside in the open, loads of kids back in the old early to mid eighties, I was about 5. i got my first computer when i was 6, it was a Sinclair Spectrum then a Commodore Amiga (superb machines in their day).

Apart from a slight gap between 13 and 20 when i was more interested in Girls, I restarted my interest in Computers (now paying the price for not going onto Higher Education and only having GCSEs BUT getting there!) and haven't looked back since.

I have surprised myself how easily i have fitted back in and am just consuming information at an astonishing rate, that i hope will stoke the fire.

enough of this retoric, you just couldn't have predicted this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back