Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do we need a routing between TLAN and ELAN with one call server, one site

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck9090

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2013
US
Hi,
just joined but getting a lot of information here!!

Here is my question,
We have brand new CS1000e system R7.5 with HA one call server running for 8 months, no big issue.
System/Session manager are still offline, not done yet.

They - installer - said we need to make TLAN and ELAN routable to finish installing System manager (UCM).
Is this true?
Because in the very beginning, they also asked routing between TLAN and ELAN just for NTP to work.
We didn't do that and our NTP is working fine from ELAN to TLAN and again to Internet (Time Server).

Thanks in advance,
Sung

Sung

Since UCM must interact with components on both the ELAN and TLAN it needs to be routable. The call server NTP is functioning without routing because it is actually syncing to the sig server via the ELAN address. Besides, without routing on your ELAN, even if it worked, troubleshooting could be badly hindered.

Yes, the ELAN and TLAN need to be able to route to each other. Not only for System/Session Manager also Element Manager, MGC cards etc. Alot of the Nortel/Avaya components when you access them over the ELAN IP address they will reply over the TLAN. If they aren't routeable then it won't work. You also need to have these Servers in your DNS to function properly or you will have to resolve the IP and FQDN in your local machine.

Hmm,
It's still confusing.
From the Avaya document, Security Domain Guide, 1.12.2, it says in 'SMALL CONFIGURATION' as we only have one call server, not going to expand, "it is still desired that the ELANs remain segregated (non-routable/non-extended), separate UCM primary security servers will need to be configured for each location."

I have a feeling that this could be a similar situation most auto technician loves an impact gun and rarely uses torque wrench when they put back rims.

I guess it kinda depends on what VLAN you put your System and Session manager and how good your network is. System Manager is your Primary Security Server. There isn't really UCM in 7.5 System Manager 6.3 version. What version System Manager are you installing? It really doesn't matter if it's 1 Call Server or 10, the ELAN and TLAN need to route between each other. The Call Server only has an ELAN so that's not really even a consideration. It's all the other components that have E and T. You say you have an HA system but you only have one Call Server? That doesn't make any sense. If it was one call server it would be an SA.

Per doc NN43001-116 Unified Communications Management Common Services Fundamentals:

- ELAN and TLAN must be routable because System Manager supports only one Ethernet
port.

Found under "Appendix A: Migration to System Manager"

Listen to your installer, he knows what he is talking about.

Since release 5.5 (I think?), both E and T LAN's are needed across a customers network. As stated above, your installer on correct.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I Think it is from RLS 6, I remember doing an upgrade to RLS 5.5, and having seperate E-Lan and T-Lan switches with no routing between the two. Then when I did my first RLS 6 upgrade, there was a requirement for a router or layer 3 switch.

Thanks guys,
Just checked a doc "Migration to System Manager" and it was a requirement.[bigsmile]

How do you put these call servers?
Do you put a f/w between or implement DMZ or just put into same corporate network???

I am really curious.
Thanks for all answers,
Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back