Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do we have a choice? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshtray

IS-IT--Management
Dec 14, 2002
US
Hello:

I am a recent college graduate trying to work my way up the System Administration ladder. I work as technical support(and have worked so for the last 1.5 years) with mainly Red Hat Unix systems customized for web hosting purposes. I am fairly comfortable using them and would call myself and advanced user if not an expert.

However, I wish to enhance my System Administration skills in Unix. I am looking for a certification which will let me do that. Money is definitely a thing to think about for me and I do not want to spend too much on the certification (200 or so). Which kind of Unix Certification would be good for me? Do we even have any choices? I want to be able to buy the material (books etc) without spending a load of money either. Please let me know.

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Akshtray

Well, you basically have a choice between RHCE, LPI or Linux+.
LPI (Linux Professional Institute) seems to be the realistic one to go for judging by it's support by companies like IBM.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

If you are really looking to become a unix SA and want a marketable certification your best bet would be to go the Solaris route. That's painful to say since I much prefer AIX, but there are more professional jobs on Solaris than most other unices.

To be honest, most SA's I work with don't even have cert's. My experience has generally been you befriend an SA and prove you have the skills and desire to learn from them. I think of SA work as being in a guild. You apprentice under a master to learn your craft.

A cert may be the best way to get your foot in the door, but after a few years most unix people don't care about certs, but what you have done.

Good luck and I hope your journey to join the SA ranks is successful.

Usige
Certified by life

Well .. I learnt a lot about Unix while pursuing my computer engineering degree in college. Now my work revolves around Tech Support in the Webhosting field with primarily Unix servers. However, I do not see much of a chance of progress in my company as it is too small.

While looking for new jobs I do see most of them look for System Administration skills in mainly AIX-IBM or Solaris. Unfortunately I cannot lay my hands on either of those to practice them hands on even though I do have other Unix Systems (Red Hat, Slackware, Free BSD). I was informed that the AIX series is achievable as long as you have a book to study with it for and a good knowledge of Unix/Linux. Is this true? Also, how expensive is this route and how many exams and which series should I take them for.

Any and all help will be really appreciated.

Thanks
Akshtray

AIX is quite a bit different from Sun and Linux in the sysadmin section, so much so that book study will be quite frustrating as most of the commands are unique to AIX.

Make no mistake, it's probably the easiest of all the *nix's to administrate, definitely my preferred OS, but without a server to learn on you may find many topics going over your head as you won't have anything to compare to.

IBM Certified Confused - MQSeries
IBM Certified Flabbergasted - AIX 5 pSeries System Administration
MS Certified Windblows Rebooter

Hi:

Is there any way I could get my hands on a trial/demo version of the AIX software. Or is this something that I will not be able to install on a regular PC. I think this is the most popular server software in use nowadays and will be greatly beneficial to me.

Thanks
Akshtray

Thanks Frederico:

So I guess I will download the Sun SOlaris O/S for x86 processors. It is around 20 bucks which is not bad. But here is my question:

How expensive is it to get certified in Sun. Because if it is a lot it will beat my whole purpose of getting the OS.

Also, I am still confused regarding AIX. Will this O/S work on a regular PC with x86 processors or does it need an IBM based server?

Thanks
Akshtray

Hello:

Also, to add to my last post. I found that the Sun Cert. requires 2 exams which are $150 each. However, will installing the Sun O/S which I obtain from their site be of much help. I ask this because Sun Systems are mainly based on SPARC Computers. Will I be able to really learn a lot with it being installed on a Intel x86 based PC.

Thanks
Akshtray

akshtray,
AIX only runs on IBM RS/6000's. You could always buy one on e-bay (mine was ~ $200, look for IBM 43p). Unfortuantely getting a copy of AIX could be difficult unless you know someone who works with AIX and has access to the media.

Last time I checked it was ~ $150 per sun certification exam. There are 2 test to become a Sun Certified SA. Add one more cert exam if you want Sun Certified Netwrok Admin. So you'd be looking at $300 - 450. The only thing you might not be able to play with on Solrais x86 is all the stuff in boot PROM. I don't remeber if that is part of the cert exam or not.

You couls always pickup a cheap Sun box on ebay. I think I paid around $120 for an Ultra 5.

I wish I had enough space to pick up the Box .. i most definitely I would. I live in a 1 bedroom Apt. and have 3 computers at home already. And 2 TV's. LOL!!

I have no more place for another computer .. plus my fiancee wont let me buy one. I just want to install Solaris on the older computer that I have and use that to learn. So I guess I will just purchase the binary and download it for 20 bucks if I am sure that I will work on the Solaris Cert. I am pretty good with Linux, how difficult it is to work on and get the certification. On a scale of 1-10 how hard would you guys rate it?

Thanks
Akshtray

From my own experience if you're good enough with one Unix brand, and are willing to dig through the manuals, and not afraid of trying things then it's not difficult to jump to another brand.

I personally do not have any certs, but I work with all SCO variants, HP-UX, Solaris, BSD, Linux, AIX and others that some people don't even remember (any one cares about Sinix?)

The main thing to consider are
RTFM as many times as required.
Do not be afraid to try things (not on the PRODUCTION machine)
Use the Usenet as ofter as possible, as most problems already have an answer there. (it is sooo easy nowadays!!)

"(any one cares about Sinix?)"

Me, me! Used to work with the Siemens RS600s in the nineties. Now, how about Dynix PTX?

IMHO certifications mean squat....everything changes and often.

I have been dealing with computers since the early 80's and hired people that have had all sorts of *nix, M$, novell, and other certifications, but couldn't solve a problem or deal with an update or variation if their job depended on it. (ok , it did, and they didn't last long).

In the world of *nix there are some basic similarities but generally every installation/configuration/distribution/etc has differences. The real asset is the ability to learn and to know where to find the answers in the shortest amount of time.

Enough of my rant, you already know enough to use/request the help of others from resouces available.

good luck
stan
(p.s. redhat doesn't distribute unix)

Hello:

To agree with most of you guys, I do not believe much in Certs either. I went to college for 4 years and finished my Bachelors in Comp. Engg. I have around 2-3 years of Exp. in Support but am unable to get anywhere even remotely close to the System Administration level. I am extremely frustrated and am unaware of how else to approach this issue. The only thing I can think that might help me are the Certs.

Do you guys have any other ideas/suggestions that might be able to help me out.

Thanks
Akshtray

Akshtray,
Why don't you ask your company to provide Unix training to you? Express your interest in moving into a Sysadmin position. It's definitely worth a try...See if they are willing to allow you to do part-time Junior Sysadmin duties.

I'd also ask them if they have an old, unused system you can use as a sandbox -- something you can install a recent OS, play around with, add volume groups, logical volumes and filesystems, install other software, patch, add freeware, destroy and rebuild. Let your employer know you are willing to work on the system on your own time.

And as usige said earlier, try to find a sys admin who likes to teach others and share the knowledge and be your mentor. I doubt there is a decent sys admin around who doesn't have at least one mentor -- most likely more.

Regarding certs: they look good on paper and will get you past the HR or employment agency folks. And there is nothing wrong with having certification. The technical person who will make the hiring decision will be looking for other things, too.

I think what most employers look for is expertise, troubleshooting skills, tenacity, curiosity, a cool head (nothing worse than a sys admin who flies off the handle!), a broad range of skills (for example, do you know how to install something like Oracle? can you write a script that starts and stops a database?), resourcefulness, thoroughness.

And don't forget to learn vi! For a brief time we had a "sys admin" who couldn't use vi and got around it by ftp'ing files to his PC, editing them and ftp'ing them back to the Unix box. He didn't last long as a sys admin.

Good luck.

Hey ..

Thanks for all ur suggestions guys .. but this is the current situation ..

Its a really small company with no scope of going up the ladder. There is not a chance in hell .. and I am serious and have tried a dozen of times.. of me going anywhere here. Also, yes I am pretty proficient with both vi and pico (even though I prefer the latter). Also, I can easily install rpm's, addusers, remove users, write basic shell scripts .. to name a few .. without a problem. You all now as to how the market situation is so I do not even have to re-iterate that fact to you guys. Its frustrating to me .. but yet I have taken it all in stride and made it a learning experience .. since Unix/Linux is such a broad O/S there is something new I learn every day. But still I need to broaden my horizons and hopefully get into the Sys. Admins stuff .. somewhere, somehow .. and hopefully soon.

Thanks once more and I really welcome any suggestions.

Akshtray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back