Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do routers at each end of VPN tunnel need to be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tviman

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
This may seem like a silly question but is it necessary that the routers at both ends of the VPN tunnel be the the same make & model?

No, I use Linksys/Cisco RV082, RV042, WRV4400N and Netopia 3347g in one VPN.

You will want to print the exact settings at each end, as they have to exactly match.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

It's kind of nice to have the same brand at each end (e.g. Cisco) because there are those "EZ VPN" setups. If you go with different equipment, you have to know all the settings and know what you're doing. The wizards will guide those with average tech skills through setting one up.

Apologies for the late response... swamped at work!

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty certain this was the case. I contract to a company that has about 70 Netopia R910 routers across the country and these are no longer available (except used from ebay/craigslist). We want to start using something that is readily available to replace and yet still work with existing routers. The R910 has a text interface and new routers are GUI - no problem so far. Of the newer routers we've looked at (all cisco), VPN must be IPSEC - again, no problem there except that IPSEC in the old R910's use different terminology. To date we have been unsuccessful in creating a connection between the two. I'm of the belief that it is just a difference in terminology and that one day we'll stumble across the correct settings. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas on this, please feel free to post them with my sincere thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back