Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do reverse DNS lookups use MX records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snella

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
GB
I was under the impression that reverse DNS was only used to check that the sending server was who it said it was however my colleage believes that MX records are also used to determine if the e-mail domain is valid for the sending host. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Oops, I didn't finish that thought.....

So there are several ways to verify the sending host. Different mail servers use different methods. By itself, reverse DNS only does what you've stated: verify that the sending server name matches it's IP address.

Most mail servers use a reverse-dns lookup to validate that an email server really is who it says it is because the name and IP information presented during the handshake can be spoofed (faked). Doing a reverse DNS lookup before allowing an email server to send your server email helps to cut down on the amount of spam you'll get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back