Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I use inline frames and targets? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looman

Technical User
Feb 26, 2007
Currently my website is set up such that each page is basically a copy of each other. Any changes to the site means I have to update each and every page. I knew this could come back to bite me and now it has.
How can I set it up so that I can minimize the amount of pages I need to update?
For example, on my road races page:

I figured out how to set up the ads on the right hand side as a separate table cell embedded with an inline frame so that all I have to do is update the ads page and it would update for all pages.
I would like to set up the links on the left side and and movies which show in the centre as separate inline frames too (if that is the right method).
But how do I set things up so that when a viewer clicks on a link on the left side, the corresponding movie in the centre is pulled up?

Advice would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

It is possible to use iframes and targets to get what you want. For the movie to open in an iframe you would place it on a page with no other content. Your link would then use a target to open the movie page in the iframe.

But i believe a template system is a better solution. Make a page that has all the common elements of your site, such as general layout, header, footer, navigation, etc. Wherever you
have content that changes from page to page type something like "movie goes here" and "movie description goes here". Highlight each of changing area and set them as editable regions with an appropriate name. Save this page as a template. Whenever you create a new page create it from the template and over time replace all your current pages with ones made from the template.

Once you have a template system in place it becomes very easy to create new pages, since most of the work is already done and if you want to change a common element like a header or navigation all you have to do is change the template. GoLive will then change all the pages made from that template automagically.

IFames have disadvantages with search engines. Lets say someone pulls up one of your iframe pages in a search engine result. All they will get is the iframe page without the rest of your content around it. People won't know what web site they are at or have any navigation to explore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back